Monday, March 26, 2007

Kiddie Swag???

I am new to the "Mommy" game, having only started playing with the birth of Googie in July 2005. I've only hosted one child's birthday party so far. I've only experienced a handful of kid parties as an adult guest... so can someone PLEASE explain to me the fascination with "goodie bags" at birthday parties? To me, the whole "goodie bag" name is an oxymoron. In my (admittedly limited) experience, "goodie bags" are filled with crap no parent really wants to take home.

A friend of mine is planning a party for her two girls and asked my advice about whether or not to give out a goodie bag. I told her I didn't understand the concept. Why are the host/hostesses giving the guests gifts to attend a party? Especially in these days of "over the top" parties. It's no longer just an afternoon of cake and ice cream at the birthday girl/boy's home. No, it's hours at the local indoor play palace or a dress-up tea party or an afternoon at Libby Lu's [But that is another blog all together].

[Ahem... excuse me while I put on my best "crotchity old woman voice"...]

In my day, we didn't have these fancy new-fangled goodie bags. We got a hat, a blow out and if we were REALLY lucky, a balloon we could blow up ourselves. We didn't get a fancy schmancy SWAG bag. We got two lumps of coal and a tube of fungus creme and we LIKED IT.

Ok, we didn't really get the coal or fungus creme but you get the gist. Who needs Play-Doh, suckers, stickers, toys, etc? Seriously? It's not enough to go and spend an afternoon running around with friends, followed by the chance to fall into a sugar induced coma courtesy of birthday cake with that lovely thick icing and all the ice cream one can eat?




My friend is worried the parental backlash from the lack of craptastic, junk-filled goodie bags will be massive. So I told her to send a miffed Muffy or Biff my way, I'll take care of that conversation.

Oh yeah, and memo to any parents and kids coming to my children's birthday parties. Go ahead and make plans for disappointment. There will be no goodie bags.

You've been warned.

7 comments:

Kim said...

You are sooooo right.

Jennifer said...

You make a good point...I guess I like goodie bags. Well, not ME personally, but Peanut have loved the "crap" he's received. Most of it dollar store junk. But, it sure made his day.

As far as keeping up with the Joneses, I'll be doing a simple party with a simple goodie bag. And if the other parents don't like it, they can just kiss it.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you remember my birthday rant from last summer. Nuff said.

Heather said...

Ohhhh...let's be like birthday party hostess rebels and refuse to give goodie bags!

Beckie said...

You can count me in as a rebel too. I just told OE the other day that I'm not doing goody bags, and if people don't like it, we just won't have any more bday parties for friends.

Knock knock - it's cancer! said...

I remember my first "goodie bag"... and I was both confused AND pissed off at the same time!

WHY the hell would EVERYBODY get a present?

But, there it is, it's how "it's done". It does get easier....you automatically just do it now, (we're so used to it, since mine are 5 and 7) but also, it gets more and more expensive. For my 7 year old things are much more expensive ... for their goodybags. I think last year I spent $7 on each damn bag. He had 15 kids there!! AND i'm paying for the rental of the bouncy castle, and his presents and the cake and food!

Yup...birthdays are not what they used to be. Each year you try to do better than the year before. And keep up with the Jonses (it'll matter to junior, once he's in school. My son wanted to have his party at this pirate place, cause xyz from his class had his there too)

Sigh. Welcome to mommy-hood.

Michelle

Lulu said...

I agree with you. I don't understand why the guests should be given gifts. It's such a special day for the birthday child-let it stay special to him/her.

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz