Tuesday, November 06, 2007

It's Beginning to Sound A Lot Like Christmas...

... and I LOVE it!

Yes, the calendar says November 6. Yes, stores have had their Christmas displays up since April. But, for the most part, I'm in heaven!

What I consider the "holiday season" (Halloween-New Years) has been my favorite time of year since I can remember. I LIVE for the chance to drive around and admire the twinkling lights strung up on homes across my hometown. And the Christmas music... oh, the Christmas music.

It honestly doesn't bother me to hear Christmas Carols when I'm just throwing out my now rotten jack-o-lanterns. I was in heaven driving to work the other night. I was scanning through the radio dial and heard the first Christmas songs of the season on Radio Delilah. Most people might recoil in horror. Not me. I turned the radio up. I sang along. I had tears in my eyes (yes, I'm a sap).

I think my love for Christmas music comes from my high school band days. Sure, we'd still be in full-blown marching season, but our band director would still have us reading through Christmas sheet music to prepare for our Christmas concert.

It wasn't odd for me to be seen carrying Halloween candy to school, along with my books and a folder filled with the flute/piccolo parts to some very familiar Christmas songs. My all time favorite was Stille Nacht by Manheim Steamroller. We even sang the "Oooooo" parts. To this day, hearing this song makes me think of high school band performances.

I guess ultimately, Christmas music, Christmas decorations... they are all emotional triggers to some very happy memories. Memories filled with childhood delight at what Santa left under the tree... of dinners with my mom and dad, grandparents, countless aunts, uncles and cousins... the smell of a warm fire mixed with the sweet aroma of a Christmas tree covered in twinkling lights and sparkling ornaments... of happiness.

I love Christmas. I love Christmas music. I can't wait to watch Googie and Soupy grow. I hope I can instill in them the feeling of family, hope and love I feel every holiday season.

Deck the halls!

2 comments:

courtcourt said...

Hooray! Another Christmas lover!

All of my Christmas CDs came out over the weekend. My trees went up. I LOVE Christmas. I can't wait until the first rounds of outdoor lights go up.

Jennifer said...

I am so glad to know I'm not alone!

My Christmas decorations are still packed up. I can't decide where to put my tree this year!

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz