Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Living My Dream


This week's Carnival topic from the CHBMs, “What’s your dream job? (Other than Motherhood)”.


You know, when I first read this topic, I thought it would be easy. Turns out, not so much, for me at least. I've thought about this for the better part of two days. It's not that I have never thought of something that could be classified as my "dream job". I have, check out my "through the years" list...

Elementary School
Secretary
Jockey
Veterinarian

Middle School Years
Astronaut
Lawyer
Bartender

High School Years
High School Band Director
Professional Flag Twirler
Professional Musician (flute/piccolo)

College Years
International Businesswoman
Director (television)
International Field Producer

Post-College Years
PR Director for hockey team
Special Projects Producer
Teacher

That's an interesting list, to be sure.... but now, I look at all of those jobs and wonder how I could have ever thought of them as dream jobs. They can't even compare with what I do now.

I get up every day, sometimes quite tired, but looking forward to what lies ahead. On the job I heal, nurture, teach, love and observe. Then, I actually leave and go to "work".

Though I never knew it before July 2005, being a mother is my dream job. I realize I'm not really following the Carnival question. But I'm being honest. I couldn't and wouldn't trade my "job" as a Mom for anything.

Sure, being a tv news producer can be exciting, but it can't be compared to being a Mom.

What's better...

Getting the big story of the day on the air flawlessly or lifting Googie into the air, inspiring her fits of giggles and adorable grins and making silly faces at Soupy until he grins and coos at me, laughing that adorable baby laugh?

Counting down the anchors to hit a perfect live interview with a network correspondent or sitting with Googie and Soupy counting down to the newest episode of "The Backyardigans"?


Being the first station on the air with a "breaking news story" or being the first person Googie or Soupy see when they wake up from a nap?


Sure, I have to deal with poopie diapers at home. And when I go to work, there's rarely a day when I'm not up to my waist in some newsroom "bullshit". I don't mind cleaning up after my kids. One day they will be potty trained. The other adults I work with, not so much.

Being a news producer isn't bad, I've done it for more than a decade. When it comes to bringing home a "paycheck", there's nothing else I can imagine myself doing right now.

But when it comes to my dream job... you can't beat being Mom. Sure there are really long hours, no vacation time or sick time.... but the benefits are amazing.







Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love. ~Mildred B. Vermont

3 comments:

Melanie said...

There is nothing in the world better than being a mom. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Anonymous said...

It's certainly the most difficult, relentless and often thankless task you'll undertake.
But certainly the most rewarding.
I love my day job, and my night job and my forever job...

Mom2Amara said...

Special projects is overrated -- I could never line produce like you! Too much stress!

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz